Japan’s leading electronic composer and visual artist Ryoji Ikeda focuses on the essential characteristics of sound itself and that of visuals as light by means of both mathematical precision and mathematical aesthetics. Ikeda has gained a reputation as one of the few international artists working convincingly across both visual and sonic media. He elaborately orchestrates sound, visuals, materials, physical phenomena and mathematical notions into immersive live performances and installations. Alongside of pure musical activity, Ikeda has been working on long-term projects through live performances, installations, books and CD’s such as 'datamatics' (2006-), 'test pattern' (2008-), 'spectra' (2001-), ‘cyclo.’ a collaborative project with Carsten Nicolai, ‘superposition’ (2012-), 'supersymmetry' (2014-) and ‘micro | macro’ (2015-).
Data-Verse— • Kunstmuseum Wolfsburg, Germany
Taipei Museum of Fine Art— • Taipei Museum of Fine Art, Taipei, Taiwan
data.flux [12 XGA version]— • Onassis Cultural Centre, Athens, GR
data.tron [WUXGA version]— • Tank Shanghai, city project of the 12th Shanghai Biennale, Shanghai, CN
data.tron [WUXGA version] , DREAM— • Chiostro del Bramante, Rome, IT
Ryoji Ikeda— • Eye Filmmuseum, Amsterdam, NL
Ryoji Ikeda: code-verse— • Garage Museum of Contemporary Art, Moscow, RU
continuum— • Centre Pompidou, Paris
Ryoji Ikeda at Miyazu Amanohashidate
October 18 — November 7, 2021
Watch the video of Ryoji Ikeda's latest installation “data.flux [LED version]”, 2021.
“data.flux [LED version]” is a site-specific audiovisual installation that perceptualizes invisible data and lets you thrust yourself into the torrent of video and audio. Imagery is projected onto a large 24 meter LED screen composed of a huge combination of data, which lends the viewer a “complete sensory experience” with audio that is closely synchronized.
- Julien Chassagne, ‘Venise: nos installations favorites à la 58e Biennale d'art’, The Good Life, May 2019 — 1.5 MB
- Clémentine Mercier, 'Ryoji Ikeda, l'information en "Continuum"', Libération, 20th July 2018 — 1.3 MB
- ‘Les mondes codés de Ryoji Ikeda au Centre Pompidou à Paris’, Connaissance des Arts, 25th June 2018 — 143.4 kB
- Roxana Azimi, ‘Ryoji Ikeda à Beaubourg : variations autour d’une même note’, Le Monde, 14th June 2018 — 290.1 kB
- 'Artistes et hackeurs, ils détournent les nouvelles technologies', Numéro, 14th June 2018 — 245.2 kB
- 'Ryoji Ikeda', M le Magazine du Monde, 9th June 2018 — 496.7 kB
- 'Qui est Ryoji Ikeda, le pape techno de l'art contemporain', Les Inrockuptibles, 1st June 2018 — 1.2 MB
- Eddy Frankel, 'Ryoji Ikeda: π, e, ø', Time Out London, 18th April 2017 — 190.5 kB