Born in 1966 in Gifu, Japan
Lives and works in Paris, France and Kyoto, Japan
Japan’s leading electronic composer and visual artist Ryoji Ikeda focuses on the essential characteristics of sound itself and that of visuals as light by means of both mathematical precision and mathematical aesthetics. Ikeda has gained a reputation as one of the few international artists working convincingly across both visual and sonic media. He elaborately orchestrates sound, visuals, materials, physical phenomena and mathematical notions into immersive live performances and installations. Alongside of pure musical activity, Ikeda has been working on long-term projects through live performances, installations, books and CD’s such as 'datamatics' (2006-), 'test pattern' (2008-), 'spectra' (2001-), ‘cyclo.’ a collaborative project with Carsten Nicolai, ‘superposition’ (2012-), 'supersymmetry' (2014-) and ‘micro | macro’ (2015-).
Born in 1966 in Gifu, Japan
continuum— • Centre Pompidou, Paris
58th International Art Exhibition - La Biennale di Venezia, 'May You Live In Interesting Times', curated by Ralph Rugoff
Ryoji Ikeda and George Condo are included in the 58th International Art Exhibition - La Biennale di Venezia, May You Live in Interesting Times, curated by Ralph Rugoff.
May 11 - November 24, 2019
The title of the exhibition is a phrase of English invention that has long been mistakenly cited as an ancient Chinese curse that invokes periods of uncertainty, crisis and turmoil; "interesting times", exactly as the ones we live in today.
The 58th Exhibition is curated by Ralph Rugoff, currently the director of the Hayward Gallery in London. Between 1985 and 2002 he wrote art and cultural criticism for numerous periodicals, publishing widely in art magazines as well as newspapers, and published a collection of essays, Circus Americanus (1995). During the same period he began working as an independent curator.
* Ryoji Ikeda's participation in Venice is supported by Audemars Piguet, The Vinyl Factory and Institut Français.
Image: Ryoji Ikeda at Eye Film Museum, Amsterdam, 2018 / © Ryoji Ikeda - Photo: Studio Hans Wilschut
- Julien Chassagne, ‘Venise: nos installations favorites à la 58e Biennale d'art’, The Good Life, May 2019 — 1.5 MB
- Clémentine Mercier, 'Ryoji Ikeda, l'information en "Continuum"', Libération, 20th July 2018 — 1.3 MB
- ‘Les mondes codés de Ryoji Ikeda au Centre Pompidou à Paris’, Connaissance des Arts, 25th June 2018 — 143.4 kB
- Roxana Azimi, ‘Ryoji Ikeda à Beaubourg : variations autour d’une même note’, Le Monde, 14th June 2018 — 290.1 kB
- 'Artistes et hackeurs, ils détournent les nouvelles technologies', Numéro, 14th June 2018 — 245.2 kB
- 'Ryoji Ikeda', M le Magazine du Monde, 9th June 2018 — 496.7 kB
- 'Qui est Ryoji Ikeda, le pape techno de l'art contemporain', Les Inrockuptibles, 1st June 2018 — 1.2 MB
- Eddy Frankel, 'Ryoji Ikeda: π, e, ø', Time Out London, 18th April 2017 — 190.5 kB