Vaughn Spann devotes his practice to abstraction and figuration as an investigation into space, time and memory. He locates subjects from deeply personal spaces as he reconciles with his body within and out of the studio. With a deep admiration for formalism, he enjoys approaching paintings through the lens of color, line, and shape, but seemingly understands that one's subjectivity can't simply be divorced from the studio. For him, a form is a striking means of generating content in ways that are compelling. His formal investigation permeates throughout his paintings, symbolically reflecting his encounters with diverse people and places. Through his well-known stylistic separations, Spann continues to vigorously experiment with unconventional materials and expands on his personal and historical narratives.
Pre-order - Vaughn Spann
Limited edition print by Almine Rech Editions
Almine Rech Editions is pleased to present the limited edition print 'Cosmic Symbiote (Marked Man)' by Vaughn Spann.
Cosmic Symbiote (Marked Man), 2020
Cotton paper, hand beveled edges, embossed X
58 x 58 cm - 22 7/8 x 22 7/8 inches
Edition of 75 + 20 AP
Signed and numbered on the front
In support of Black Lives Matter, 100% of the profit of the first 10 prints sold will be donated to the Black Lives Matter Global Network.
- "5 Artists the Artnet Gallery Network Is Keeping an Eye on This Fall", Artnet News, October 23, 2020 — 589.8 kB
- Annie Armstrong - "Why Artists Change Galleries" - Artsy - January 27, 2020 — 542.0 kB
- Eileen Kinsella - "‘It’s Like a Dance’: How Painter Vaughn Spann Became a Breakout Star at Yale While Raising Two Young Kids at the Same Time" - Artnet News - January 23, 2020 — 3.8 MB
- Kelly Crow ‘A Boundry-Busting Artist Seeks To 'Learn Through the Chaos'’, The Wallstree Journal, January 2020 — 320.7 kB
- Sasha Bogojev - The Heat Lets us Know We're Alive: Vaughn Spann Opens A Solo Show @ Almine Rech, NYC - Juxtapoz Magazine, January 14, 2020 — 1.1 MB
- "Editors' Picks: 20 Things Not to Miss in New York's Art World This Week," artnet news , January 13, 2020. — 1.6 MB
- Eileen Cartter - "All My New Yorkers, Which Is the Best Seat (to Take You to the Shows Opening This Week)?", Garage - January 12, 2020. — 1.1 MB
- Lucy Rees, 'How Artist Vaughn Spann Is Pushing Boundaries with His Poetic Works' , Galerie Magazine, October 9, 2019 — 1.1 MB
- 'The Rising Star : Vaughn Spann has arrived', Juxtapoz, March 26, 2019 — 1.3 MB
- Elliot Sang, 'How Vaughn Spann Became the art World's New Favorite Painter', Highsnobiety, April 24, 2019 — 1.3 MB
- 10-23-2020_Artnet — 589.8 kB
- Antwaun Sargent, 'The 6 Rising Artists to Watch in 2019', W Magazine, January 29, 2019 — 299.0 kB