Chloe Wise’s practice spans diverse media, including painting, sculpture, video and installation. Foregrounding an interest in the history of portraiture, Wise examines the multiple channels that lead to the construction of a Self, paying particular attention to the interweaving of consumption and image making. With a wry sense of humour, she nods to canonical tableaux, like Manet’s Déjeuner Sur L’Herbe, exploring the shared projected desires built around food and the female body. Meticulously hand painted casts of food serve as the base for the artist’s sculptural practice where strange assemblies, now frozen in sculpted plastic, toy with the presence and absence of unchangeability and perishability, fiction and reality. Advertising, fashion, taboo, multi-national brands—Wise looks to the consumptive habits built around these structures with parody and derision, underlying how the body is framed and becomes excessive in its manipulation of these sites.
Chloe Wise in 'Fantasy America' at The Andy Warhol Museum, Pittsburgh
The Andy Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh announced upcoming 2021 exhibitions, including ‘Fantasy America’ featuring Chloe Wise from March 5 to August 30, 2021
‘Fantasy America’ invites New York-based artists Nona Faustine, Kambui Olujimi, Pacifico Silano, Naama Tsabar and Chloe Wise to revisit Andy Warhol’s seminal publication, America, and contribute through their own artistic practices.
‘Fantasy America’ is curated by José Carlos Diaz, chief curator. The exhibition catalogue includes contributions by Diaz, Jessica Lanay Moore, and Alan Pelaez Lopez.
Image: Chloe Wise, Tormented Untainted, 2019. Courtesy of the artist. © 2020 Chloe Wise / Artists rights Society (ARS), New York.
- Eliza Jordan, 'Checking In: Chloe Wise Asks, “What’s an Art?”', Whitewall, April 27,2020 — 13.7 MB
- Anika Meier, ‘ "Die Welt explodiert,ich male" Fashion, Social Media, Politik -Undölaufleinwand :Diekanadierin Chloe Wisporträtiert Ihre Generation’, MONOPOL, March 2020 — 1.4 MB
- Yale Breslin, 'Pop Life. Chloe Wise', L'Officiel, July 2019 — 3.0 MB
- Gabriella Pounds, ‘Chloe Wise’, Frieze, 21st December 2017 — 454.3 kB
- Kevin West, 'Will Work With Food’, Surface, 8th December 2017 — 5.0 MB
- Hugo Compain, 'Chloe Wise, la plus contemporaine des artistes', Vogue, 23rd September 2017 — 640.4 kB
- '(Presque) célèbre Chloe Wise', Elle Magazine, 15th September 2017 — 273.0 kB
- Sarah Moroz, 'Chloe Wise is turning america’s food fetish into art', i-D, 5th September 2017 — 492.4 kB
- Thibault Wychowanok, 'Chloe Wise à la galerie Almine Rech', Numéro, September 2017 — 1.2 MB
- 'Chloe Wise : 'Of false beaches and butter money', Blouin Artinfo, 31st August 2017 — 220.3 kB
- 'Chloe Wise', Wall Street International, 9th August 2017 — 415.9 kB
- Jessica Pressler, 'The Crab Artist of Her Generation', New-York Magazine,19th April 2017 — 2.1 MB
- Mathias Rosenzweig, 'Artist Chloe Wise Talks Sex, Consumerism, And the Presidential Election', Vogue, 20th November, 2016 — 445.0 kB
- Molly Taylor, 'Chloe Wise : Haute couture et Confusion', summer 2016 — 1.0 MB
- Emily Warman, 'Beautiful People 2015: Art', Paper, 23rd April 2015 — 226.6 kB